Guided Nature Walk Inside the Impact Area
Date: May 17, 2014
Time: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Interested in seeing future lands of the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) at Fort Ord? Consider joining the Fort Ord Cleanup and BLM staff in a nature walk around areas that were burned in October 2013 and are currently being cleared of ordnance and explosives.
We have scheduled two walking/hiking tours of cleared areas within our Impact Area.
RESERVATIONS REQUIRED: This event is limited to 100 participants.
HOW TO MAKE RESERVATIONS: Call the Fort Ord Community Relations Office at (831) 393-1284 or send an e-mail to Melissa.M.Broadston.email@example.com with the name of each participant. Then show-up at the tour departure location (BLM HQ) no later than 9:45 a.m. on May 17th for the safety briefing. We’ll take a short bus ride into the Impact Area followed by the nature walk. You have permission to drive your private vehicle to the BLM HQ office for this specific event.
Estimated time for hikes:
- 1 hour for the shorter route (1.5 miles)
- 2 hours for the longer route (3 miles)
Adverse weather (for example lightning, heavy rain) will cancel, but call the Fort Ord Community Relations Office at 831-393- 1284 or check the news section of www.FortOrdCleanup.com if in doubt.
To ensure that your experience is enjoyable, please remember:
- For all hikes, wear boots or sturdy walking shoes appropriate for dirt and gravel roads.
- Dress in layers. The weather can be unpredictable. No matter what season it is, be prepared for rain, wind, fog, or sun.
- Carry ample water to drink.
- Restrooms will be available at the parking lot, but not available during the hike. Please plan accordingly.
- Dogs (except service animals) are not allowed.
- This activity is not recommended for participants under the age of 8
VERY IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ IF YOU ARE UNDER THE AGE OF 18: You must have a parent or guardian sign the attached waiver which will be turned in at the nature walk registration table. If your parent or guardian is accompanying you on the nature walk, they can sign the waiver at the registration table. Again, if your parent or guardian doesn’t participate in the nature walk, you cannot participate unless you bring the waiver (click here for a copy of the waiver) signed by your parent or guardian to the nature walk registration table.
Download Meeting Files